678-515-0585 info@drdahlman.com

There’s no stevia in your stevia, but how could that be? Unless you call 1% stevia in your stevia to be stevia in your stevia! Sorry for that sentence, it just sounds funny and quite true said that way.

The public’s awareness of stevia has grown with the search for natural low calorie sweeteners and low carb products. Manufacturers are taking advantage of this by creating products that have 1% stevia in them and the other 99% is a cheaper low calorie sweetener that may contribute to bowel discomfort in some people. Not all.

Many “health conscious” people believe that any product that contains stevia must be healthier for them than to use good old fashioned sugar. I agree that too much sugar is detrimental to a person’s health, but should you substitute it with something that you truly don’t understand?

The main problem with most “Stevia” products is they contain dextrose, erythritol, maltodextrin or inulin in addition to the non existent stevia or 1% stevia. The dextrose, erythritol, maltodextrin and inulin can cause gastrointestinal upset and discomfort in some people. Not all, but some. Are you one of them?

IMG_4734Truvia is a combination of erythritol, rebaudiana A (that’s NOT stevia) and natural flavors. Truvia is not safe because the erythritol is NOT derived from wonderful fresh fruits as the label implies, but it comes from genetically modified (GMO) corn. There is NO stevia in Truvia. A particular molecule from the stevia plant, called rebiana A, is in Truvia. Rebaudiana A makes up one half of one percent of the product. The rebaudiana A in Truvia comes from China and is also GMO. The natural flavors in Truvia are not exactly natural. They are the artificial equivalent of “natural flavors”. The FDA allows this deception. Truvia is made by Coca Cola. Truvia, Purevia, Zerose, Zsweet are all brand names for similar products that DO NOT contain stevia. Avoid them.

 

 

IMG_4736

Stevia in the Raw contains dextrose and 1% stevia leaf extract.

 

 

 

IMG_4738

Organic stevia from Sweet Leaf contains inulin and 1% stevia extract.

 

 

 

IMG_4740

Organic stevia from Wholesome contains inulin and rebaudiana A (not stevia).

 

 

 

IMG_4744

The Whole Foods Market version of stevia contains rice maltodextrin and 1% stevia extract.

 

 

 

Now for the good news. If you have read this far, there actually are products that are pure stevia.

IMG_4746

Here’s another Whole Foods products that actually only has stevia in it. Enjoy.

 

 

 

IMG_4748

And the liquid version of the above Whole Foods product. Only stevia. Enjoy.

 

 

 

IMG_4750

Sweet Leaf has it partially figured out. Just stevia AND natural flavors that aren’t so natural as I mentioned above.

 

 

 

So, the bottom line here is to be careful with your stevia products. Not everyone using stevia will have gastrointestinal discomfort when using stevia product. But you might.

Important Patient Links

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This